Emancipation & Liberation has been asked to post the this Statement by the Ukraine Solidarity Campaign (UK).
Pro-Russian para-militaries are surrounded in the cities of Luhansk and Donetsk but peace in Ukraine is far from certain, the remaining inhabitants are in a perilous position. Since April more than 1,543 military and civilians have been killed, some 4,396 confirmed wounded, across Ukraine there are up to 400,000 internally displaced persons.
The Ukraine Solidarity Campaign (USC) declares its solidarity with the Ukrainian labour movement that stands for unity and all efforts to reinstate peace. USC supports the anti-war movement in Russia and demands the release of all political prisoners and an end to the repression in Russia.
To stop the war USC campaigns for the following as a path for independence, peace and democracy:
- for the self-determination Ukraine as a whole, free from the intrigues and corporate business-interests of Russia and the western powers
- for an immediate ceasefire by all opposing armed forces, including irregular forces
- for the deployment of neutral observers to monitor ceasefire lines, and the opening of humanitarian corridors supervised by bodies such as the International Red Cross
- for the immediate withdrawal of Russian and pro-Russian para-military forces from Ukraine
- all military personnel and civilians detained as a result of the hostilities to be either exchanged or released under the supervision of the International Red Cross
- the creation of a wide demilitarised zone around Ukraine’s borders.
- the return to barracks of the Ukrainian armed forces, disbandment and of removal of ultra-right nationalist organisations from positions in the Government of Ukraine, the Armed Forces and the interior ministry organs.
- the restoration of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea with a fully democratic referendum on the status of Crimea
- a leading role for trade unions and community organisations independent of oligarchs and ultra-right nationalists, in sustaining peace in Donbas
- for an independent inquiry into the violence and killings at the Kyiv and the Odessa trade union buildings, all those responsible for war crimes and extra-judicial killings to be brought to justice.
- the creation of an all-Ukraine system of autonomous, local self-government and abolition of regional governors
- for a neutral Ukraine, cessation of NATO involvement in Ukraine, repeal Yanukovych’s agreement to the program of cooperation with NATO
- the restoration of the Budapest Treaty and recognition of Ukraine as a united, nuclear free, neutral state.
- For the cancellation of all IMF and EU debt and payment of reparations by Russia for the reconstruction of Donbas
USC calls for full solidarity with the Ukrainian labour movement, and not those who would seek to divide workers to serve the vested interests of rival powers.
We oppose the attempt of Russian imperialism to dominate Ukraine, just as we oppose the efforts of Western and American imperialism to do the same thing.
Ukraine – Caught between East and West